Comparative genetic mapping reveals synteny and collinearity between the American cranberry and diploid blueberry genomes

Publication Overview
TitleComparative genetic mapping reveals synteny and collinearity between the American cranberry and diploid blueberry genomes
AuthorsSchlautman B, Diaz-Garcia L, Covarrubias-Pazaran G, Schlautman N, Vorsa N, Polashock J, Ogden E, Brown A, Lin Y, Bassil N, Buck E, Wiedow C, McCallum S, Graham J, Iorizzo M, Rowland L, Zalapa J
TypeJournal Article
Journal NameMolecular breeding
Volume38
Issue1
Year2018
Page(s)9
CitationSchlautman B, Diaz-Garcia L, Covarrubias-Pazaran G, Schlautman N, Vorsa N, Polashock J, Ogden E, Brown A, Lin Y, Bassil N, Buck E, Wiedow C, McCallum S, Graham J, Iorizzo M, Rowland L, Zalapa J. Comparative genetic mapping reveals synteny and collinearity between the American cranberry and diploid blueberry genomes. Molecular breeding. 2018; 38(1):9.

Abstract

Cranberry and blueberry are closely related and recently domesticated fruit crops in the genus Vaccinium. Both have a presumed American origin and likely evolved from a common ancestor; however, details of their adaptive radiation and the extent of their genomic divergence remains little understood. To better understand their evolutionary and genomic relationships, a set of 323 cross-transferable simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers were identified, added to existing marker datasets, and used to construct linkage maps for cranberry (582 SSRs) and an interspecific diploid blueberry population (V. darrowii x V. corymbosum) x V. corymbosum (409 markers, densest blueberry SSR map currently available). The maps allowed for the first comparative genetic mapping study in Vaccinium, and revealed a surprisingly high degree of macro-synteny and collinearity between the cranberry and blueberry genomes. Approximately 93% of the blueberry linkage map was collinear with cranberry, while the remaining 7% (66.3 cM) was spread across 15 non-collinear regions detected in eight of the 12 linkage groups. These observations suggest that large-scale genome differentiation between the cranberry and blueberry genomes has not occurred during their evolution, and that sequence information will be highly transferable between the species in future genetic research and breeding. Finally, the set of 323 cross-transferable SSRs and linkage maps they were used to construct can serve as a shared resource for the Vaccinium research community, enabling additional comparative mapping studies, the identification and transfer of quantitative trait loci and candidate genes between species, and future exploration of evolutionary relationships in Vaccinium.
Features
This publication contains information about 123 features:
Feature NameUniquenameType
berc108berc108genetic_marker
berc44berc44genetic_marker
berc94berc94genetic_marker
OPC07OPC07genetic_marker
UBC615UBC615genetic_marker
GVC-C264GVC-C264genetic_marker
NA1224NA1224genetic_marker
NA1707NA1707genetic_marker
VcMyb10AVcMyb10Agenetic_marker
2ms2g082ms2g08genetic_marker
ANPER01018ANPER01018genetic_marker
AOMT00011AOMT00011genetic_marker
AOMT00197AOMT00197genetic_marker
CHI01251ACHI01251Agenetic_marker
CHI01251BCHI01251Bgenetic_marker
CHS00014BCHS00014Bgenetic_marker
CHS00491ACHS00491Agenetic_marker
CHS00491BCHS00491Bgenetic_marker
CHS00519ACHS00519Agenetic_marker
CTPP-02378-1CTPP-02378-1genetic_marker
DFR00528ADFR00528Agenetic_marker
F3'H00479AF3'H00479Agenetic_marker
F3'H00479CF3'H00479Cgenetic_marker
F3'H01438BF3'H01438Bgenetic_marker
GVC-C066GVC-C066genetic_marker

Pages

Properties
Additional details for this publication include:
Property NameValue
Publication TypeJournal Article
Publication Date2018
Published Location|||
Language Abbreng
Publication Model[electronic resource].
URLhttps://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11032-017-0765-y
KeywordsVaccinium corymbosum, Vaccinium darrowii, Vaccinium macrocarpon, adaptive radiation, blueberries, breeding, chromosome mapping, cranberries, data collection, diploidy, fruit crops, genes, genetic markers, genomics, linkage groups, microsatellite repeats, quantitative trait loci
Cross References
This publication is also available in the following databases:
DatabaseAccession
AGL: USDA National Agricultural LibraryAGL:6130965